MATE is a traditional desktop environment, started as a Gnome 2 fork. The latest version, 1.12 has just been released with the following changes:
- Fixes and improvements for GTK3 support across the entire MATE Desktop including GTK 3.18¬†support.
- Touchpad support is significantly improved and now features multi touch and natural¬†scrolling.
- Multi monitor support has been improved so the display settings use output names and the revised UI lets you set the primary¬†monitor.
- The power applet now displays model and vendor information so you can distinguish between multiple battery powered¬†devices.
- Improved session management which now includes screensaver inhibition while playing media.
- MATE now listens to the
- Extended systemd¬†support.
- Long standing bugs and many little usability paper-cuts were fixed.
- For example, panel applets are no longer reordered when changing screen¬†resolutions.
- Translations updated and a number of components now retrieve strings directly from
- Dropped support for
For more information about what has been changed, read the official announcement.