SMPlayer is a popular free media player for Linux and Windows with built-in codecs that can play virtually all video and audio formats without any external codecs.
The main features of SMPlaer incudes:
- Playing and searching Youtube videos
- Skin support
- Search and download subtitles
- Available in more than 30 languages
- UsesÂ MPlayer as playback engine
A new version has just released with a version number ofÂ 14.9.0. It has some new features and contains some fixes as well. See the full changelogÂ below.
To install SMPlayer in Ubuntu / Linux Mint / elementary OS or any other Ubuntu based distro, just simply type these commands into Terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install smplayer smplayer-themes smplayer-skins
If you’re using a different distribution, go to the official website’s downloads page: Download SMPlayer
- Fix for Youtube.
- New option to shut down the computer when playback has finished.
- The themes and skin icons are loaded from resource files (*.rcc).
- New fix for searching subtitles from opensubtitles.org that should return more results.