Two weeks after the release of Linux Mint 17.1 Release Candidates Clem Lefebvre announced the availability of the final version. Linux Mint 17.1 is based on the latest LTS version of Ubuntu (14.04) just like Linux Mint 17. Here are the most notable changes of Cinnamon and MATE editions.
New Features in common
- Noto fonts by default
- Mint-X icon and GTK theme is now available in 9 color variations: Aqua, Blue, Brows, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, Sand and Teal
- Update Manager improvements
- File manager (both Nemo and Caja) supports emblems and individual folder colors
- Redesigned Language Settings module
- Redesigned Login Window Preferences
- the default MDM (login screen) theme now uses a slideshow
- the Software Sources tool now checks the speed of repository mirrors much faster than before and in parallel. It also uses a retry mechanism on timeout and removes erroneous mirrors from the list
- the ‘apt’ commands now feature bash completion
- the English version of the Official User Guide was ported to DocBook and is now available from the menu (under Help).
New Features in Cinnamon Edition
Linux Mint 17.1 comes with Cinnamon 2.4. It offers improved Theme Settings, Background Settings, Network Settings and adds new Privacy Settings and Notification Settings sections. It also brings numerous Nemo improvements. Nemo’s toolbar was redesigned and its buttons are now configurable
New Features in MATE Edition
The most notable change is probably that Compiz is now installed by default, just like CompizConfig Settings Manager. However Marco is still the default window manager but it is easy to switch to Compiz. Just go to the “Desktop Settings” screen and on the Windows tab select Compiz for the window manager.
Download Linux Mint 17.1
|From Linux Mint 17.1 RC||Simply launch the Update Manager and install any Level 1 update available.|
|From Linux Mint 17||Please wait for a few days while Linux Mint team release a new version of the Update Manager to you. In the meantime, you do not need to download or to reinstall anything. They’ll make announcements next week when this is ready.|